Tutorials

Sunday, July 18, 2010

On this day twelve months ago

I was 41 weeks pregnant.
My head was full of excitement, trepidation, doubt, fear and the unknown - it had been eight years since I had trod this path before; why was it taking so long? would I never labour? would my baby be ok?
My midwives offered me all the love and reassurance that I would offer were our roles reversed (and in fact I had, just months before, when I was midwife for one of them).

Boy, I walked a lot that day - even ate a dagwood dog with sauce and asked for a ride on the gravatron to see if that would get it going (no, they wouldn't let me ride!)

I am feeling a bit nostalgic, I just can't belive that in a few days my wee baby girl will be one year old. I had lots of doubts in those final few days - I knew women were strong, I saw them prove it over and over again but I really doubted that I still had it. Tonight I went through a box of memories looking for a card from my friend Susan, it has a blossoming pink rose on the front and inside the following words:

A strong woman works out every day
to keep her body in shape
but a woman of strength looks deep inside
to keep her soul in shape

A strong woman isn't afraid
of anything
but a woman of strength shows courage
in the midst of her fear

A strong woman won't let anyone
get the best of her
but a woman of strength gives the best
of her to everyone

A strong woman makes mistakes
and avoids the same in the future
but a woman of strength realises life's mistakes
can also be blessings and capitalises on them

A strong woman walks
sure footedly
but a woman of strength knows
when to ask for help

A strong woman wears the look
of confidence on her face
but a woman of strength
wears grace

A strong woman has faith
that she is strong enough for the journey
but a woman of strength has faith
that it is in the journey that she will become strong

author unknown to me.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Dear Shannon,
What a beautiful pregnancy photo:) How I enjoyed all of my pregnancies:) I love the words in the poem. And, an early Happy Birthday to your little one.
Take care
Linda

momma rae said...

look at that belly! i love it! beautiful poem. thanks for sharing that. :)

Ariella said...

beautiful belly mama! love the poem. happy almost birthday to your little one!

S said...

You are all too kind ;) the belly was HUGE! she was 10lb1oz and getting heavier by the second

Rebecca said...

Definitely only a woman of strength could push her out, at home in a tub (and I should know!). Beautiful poem, beautiful lady.
XX