Tutorials

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Something ugly and a few pretties

So this morning my beloved wakes me and says in a hushed whisper "there is a toad in the house, are you going to get up and catch it?" I swear I was dreaming, I mean what a bizzare thing to say pre dawn. Besides how would a cane toad get into my house? It is not like it just hopped in from the back porch; we live at the top of some serious stairs, on a hill - the revolting little creatures do turn up in the yard and I have been known to fish them out of the pool but not out of the house! I rolled over and went back to sleep.

This evening when he came home from work he asked me if I caught the toad, "what toad?", "the one in the house" he replied matter of factly "there is a toad in the house?" at this time the big girl pipes in "yeah, dad told you this morning there was one inside"....my 'dream' came back to me in dribs and drabs..."wow I must have been really tired".

My husband who is big and brave and strong, very clever and quite beautiful (for a boy) doesn't 'do' toads, he doesn't 'do' frogs, snakes or lizards either... he did hunt it out for me tho "it is in the main toilet", "IN the toilet?" I enquired "no, in the room the toilet is in, it is against the back wall"
and so it was, ugly eh? i would go so far as to say hideous. I caught it in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer (I was a bit naughty and swung the bag toward the big girl so as to elicit a good girly scream..hehehe) They get cold and go to sleep and then just never wake up. I'll throw it out on bin night.


Cane toads were deliberately introduced to Australia from Hawaii in 1935 to control scarab beetles that were eating the sugar cane. What a big environmental stuff up that was! They are a serious poisionous pest you can read more about them here.

Now for something much more beautiful; my favourite blocks from today.

9 comments:

mm said...

They don't go to 'sleep' when you put then in the freezer you know - nor do the lobsters #justsayin'

m. bloom said...

Not fair! Why do the possums get served peanut-butter & jam sandwiches while the toads just get popped in the freezer? If I were a toad I'd demand a sandwich too!

Rebecca said...

I'll take a guess and suggest that the two previous comments don't come from Aussies? Toads in Australia are environmental catastrophe...

It could be worse... I've seen people play golf with them! I believe someone somewhere is now manufacturing shoes from them!

You brave woman! XX

S said...

I know mm, I know (because they always have their eyes open - ew freaky) but the how to kill a cane toad site still says it is the most humane death, much kinder - this toad should be pleased last week I wacked one over the head with a shovel - in cold blood I tell you.
Dear Bloom - it would eat a peanut butter and jam sandwich they eat EVERYTHING, besides possums are kinda cute.
Mama you got a strike rate of 50% on your origin guessing x

anna said...

Well I'm with your other half - I don't 'do' toads either! But I would love to be able to do those beautiful blocks - what an exquisite photograph of them too! I love your work...

mm said...

The Mama - I am an Australian, I'm quite aware of the Cane Toad situation, I was having a little, gentle tease of my little sister.
A pity, I suppose, humour does not always translate.

Rebecca said...

Oh, sorry MM. X

S said...

Thank you Anna, I'm getting quite excited about the quilt now.
Family humor I suppose, I got it. x

Melissa said...

Toad - discustipating. Blocks - yummo! I just caught up on your recent posts. I love your colour combos! I am sewing/quilting two hours a day at the moment too - doesn't it just fill you up?! Yay for our wee ones' day time naps!